2.18.2013

Nursery Inspiration

We found out last week that we are having a little girl!!


The last post I did was on nursery brainstorming, & many of the rooms looked more suited for a little boy. Now that we know we are having a girl, I have been trying to come up with girl nursery ideas...which is way harder than I thought it would be!

Out of all of the photos I posted previously, I keep coming back to this one, which isn't even a nursery photo.


I love the soft wall color & the neutral fabrics on the larger pieces of furniture. 

We ended up picking up the wooden trundle bed that belonged to my grandmother while we were in Memphis this past weekend. I had forgotten how pretty it is, & am excited about adding it to the nursery. I plan on painting the trundle bed to add a pop of color (probably a gray/blue). 

I would like to do white bedding for both the crib & the trundle, & make khaki-colored bed skirts for both as well. I love the patterns & colors of the pillows in the photo above, & plan on sewing several pillow covers for the trundle bed. I have already been browsing different fabric websites for similar fabrics, & am excited to start pulling swatches for ideas. 

I haven't really started looking into cribs yet, but I do really like this Jenny Lind crib on Amazon.


I am debating whether or not we will need a changing table in the nursery. I know that changing tables are standard accessories for most nurseries, but I have heard of several people who have spare beds in their nurseries & just use changing pads. Has anyone done this instead of a changing table? I would like to avoid having one take up space if at all possible. 

I would love for Gentry to build an armoire for our girl's clothes, similar to the kind we use as our china cabinet in the dining room. It was the first birthday gift Gentry gave me after we got married & I love it! He surprised me with it when I got home from work.


As far as accessories go, I will probably do some paintings for the walls & look for different items at antique stores & flea malls. I love this painting at World Market, & wouldn't mind doing something similar.


At this point, I like to have a basic idea of where I would like to go with the room, similar to what I have done with our kitchen, hearth room & other rooms in our house. 

In the meantime, we could not be more thrilled about our little girl's arrival at the beginning of July, & I am so excited to start getting things ready!


{alli}

2 comments:

  1. Alli, this is the same crib my husband and I both used when we were infants and our little girl is using his now. It's such a classic, pretty bed. We also have an armoire that we have used more than I thought we would...babies have LOTS of stuff. As for the changing table, she is using a small dresser. It has worked perfectly for storing diapers, wipes, etc as well as clothes in the bottom drawers.
    You're ideas are so great and I know the nursery will turn out beautifully. Have fun decorating & congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited for you guys! I can't wait to see how the nursery comes together! I know it will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete