12.13.2011

christmas crafts

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas at our house! Here is a quick post with a couple of fun & easy Christmas projects for the home.

diy chalkboard:

A sweet lady who lives across the street from us gave us this mirror a few months ago at the end of a yard sale she was having.

 I've been wanting to make a chalkboard out of an old mirror for a while, & this mirror was perfect for the project. I found a few options on Pinterest that helped me decide how to do it.


First I sprayed the mirror with chalkboard spray paint.


Once that paint dried I brought it inside & painted the frame with a light blue paint color I got a Lowe's about a month ago for another project. Once the frame dried, I gave it a light sanding.

Here is the end result!


I had an old candle set that was down to the very last bit of wax, so I cleaned it up & put chalk & an eraser in it.



card holder:

 The next project was another one I found on Pinterest for a card holder. We have received a few Christmas cards in the mail so far, & I really wanted a cute way to display them. All I used was an old board we had in the basement that was already painted blue, a staple gun and some string.



These were also the first things we have hung on the walls in our house!





framed Christmas print:

The easiest thing I did was take this framed "Merry Christmas" cross stitch & spray paint the frame in glossy black paint we already had.

before
after




Notice our mantle in the background?


Also, this happened a few nights ago & it was wonderful!


I like having garland in the hearth room with lights, as well as our Christmas tree in the living room.


Here is our coffee table with our PB lantern filled with ornaments & a little $2 wicker sleigh from Target filled with pine cones:



I'm loving Christmas time at our new place!




{alli} 

2 comments:

  1. I'm curious... Was it hard to erase the chalk? I did this same project about a month ago but I'm having trouble getting it back to a clean slate after I write on it. Your house looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lee! It was not hard at all! I did have to go back to Lowe's and buy a quart of the chalk board paint, because when I painted the frame I got blue paint in the middle. I had borrowed the spray paint from a friend, so I went ahead and just bought the regular paint. It went on much thicker than the spray had, so that might be why I didn't have problems with getting it clean!

    ReplyDelete