9.22.2011

guest room inspiration

Well, now you've seen our guest room, though it is incredibly unfinished.

I've been compiling different ideas for this room for a while now, & thought I would organize some of them here in a post!

Current Room

I bought the bedspread on clearance at TJ Maxx, which I like, but I would love to add a solid quilt & fold this patterned one at the end of the bed.


idea #1: bedding + rug
 Here is an example of some bedding I really like!


 The colors don't match exactly with the colors in our guest room, but I like the solid quilt layered with a patterned quilt at the foot of the bed. I also really like the rug positioned halfway under the bed. Our floors are very dark, so this might be a good idea to warm up the room a bit & anchor the bed. World Market has some great rug options, but I'll definitely have to find one on sale somewhere.

idea #2: wall color
I am a sucker for gray-colored walls! 

via A Well Dressed Home

I like how the light colored headboard pops in front of this darker wall color. We have a similar headboard as well, though I want to spruce ours up a bit. It was the first DIY project G & I made together, which was a lot of fun! I am thinking about adding some metal studs to it or something to add a bit of detail. 

idea #3: painted furniture

Though this bed & bedding is nothing like ours, I love the paint color of the side tables! I also like the natural rug under the bed.


The only down side to the color of the side table is that it might not look very good with a darker wall color. Like I said in my earlier post, I plan to paint & distress the two side tables & the chest of drawers. So I know I'm going to paint the furniture, I just don't know what color to use.

I like how this piece has some blues  & browns in a beautiful distressed look.

via Miss Mustard Seed
Miss Mustard Seed is the best at repainting old furniture! She also gives great tips & step by step advice on how to achieve a similar look.

I'm also a huge fan of Pottery Barn white furniture like this one.

via Pottery Barn

idea #4: accessories
Obviously without knowing the wall color, or the exact bedding colors in the room, accessories are hard to pick out. I do know of some different painting ideas I've been wanting to recreate, that might find themselves on display in this room.




I have more paint ideas than just these three, but these seem to be in the same color family as the room.

I'm so ready to start sprucing up this space, but I have to keep reminding myself to be patient & not rush into throwing things together just for the sake of doing something.

Hope you like these ideas!


{alli}

4 comments:

  1. WOW. Your house is darling. I cannot believe how much you guys have gotten done in such a short time. I love the headboard in the guest room and your hearth room looks fabulous. You are so gifted and obviously Gentry is a handy guy to have around. The two of you are building a beautiful home together. Blessings on your cozy nest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ideas for the room are fantastic! Alli you should have a store/company called "Lover of All Things Cozy" I am proud of you my talented friend.
    I love the headboard you made together, the gray wall color would look really good with the bedspread, LOVE distressed wood...We will definitely be happy to stay in that guest room. Love you
    -Lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that Miss Mustard Seed distressed dresser. And the last painting - love the texture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jean, thanks so much! My brother just brought up the rest of the things you had given my parents, and I love them!!

    Lizzy, you two better come stay with us the next time you are stateside! I miss y'all!


    Hannah, those are two of my favorite things as well :)

    ReplyDelete