8.09.2013

Hadley Anne

Since my last post, we had a baby! I have been meaning to type up Hadley's birth story for a while, but am just now getting around to it 5 weeks later. I hate that I left my nice camera in my car when we went to the hospital, but I still am glad we got a few pictures from everyone's phones.

My due date for Hadley was July 6th. From the very beginning everyone has joked that we would have a July 4th baby & she would be a little firecracker. When I went to my weekly check up on Tuesday, July 2, my doctor, Dr. Link, said I was progressing really well & was already 3 cm dilated. He then told me that he would be on call all day on Thursday & I had the option to come in to get my water broken & have our little girl! I was so shocked to be given this option because we had not talked about an induction at all. It made me really excited to think about having Hadley in just two days so I said yes & he told me his office would call me the next day to work out the details.

I left the doctor's office & started calling family to let them know we were actually going to be having a July 4th baby! I knew my family would be coming up for the birth, so it was really convenient to have a set day to be able to tell them. My sister Lindsey wanted to jump in the car Tuesday night & come to Louisville from Memphis, but they all decided to wait until Wednesday morning to make the trip. My dad, mom, Lindsey, Ruthie, Bethany & my Mamaw & Papaw all loaded up in two cars & made the trek to Louisville. It was so good having my family come up for Hadley's birth. On Wednesday night we all had dinner at our house with Gentry's parents & had the best time. I even got out in the garden with my Mamaw & picked zucchini & squash that we cooked to go with our dinner. 

I was told to call the hospital at 5 am on Thursday morning to make sure there was a bed ready for me before heading to the hospital. I did not sleep much at all the night before so 5 am came early! I called, but was told that all the beds were full & I should call back in a couple of hours. I could not go back to sleep so I got up & made coffee & read my Bible. My Mamaw, Papaw, Lindsey, Ruthie & Bethany all stayed with us that night while my parents were in a hotel nearby. My Mamaw was up early & we were able to have some time together over coffee for a little while as everyone else slept. My Papaw joined us shortly after, then Lindsey came in the hearth room to sit with us. 

By 8 am I called the hospital back & was told there were still no beds & I could go ahead & eat a small breakfast. I had breakfast with my family & my mom came over. By 9:30 I called back & was told to come in at 11. It was a really relaxing morning & I'm so thankful for the time I had with family before heading to the hospital, & I know Gentry was thankful for the chance to sleep in!

Around 10:40 we left the house & headed to the hospital to check in.


My nurse hooked me up to the IV & started the Pitocin, & my doctor came in around 12:40 to break my water. It did not hurt at all & I started having contractions pretty soon after. Dr. Link told me I could have my epidural whenever I wanted, so after an hour of contractions I decided I didn't have anything to prove & asked for the epidural! :) It was the best decision. The anesthesiologist came in soon after & put the epidural in, which was completely painless. After that our families stopped by to see us.


Sometime that afternoon the nurse came in to reposition me. Whenever I was having contractions, Hadley's heart rate would drop. They reduced my Pitocin & tried moving me around a lot. The progression slowed down & they ended up putting me on oxygen for a little while. By 10 pm the oxygen was making me nauseous, but Hadley was doing much better & I was almost to 10 cm. Around 11:15 pm my nurse was ending her shift & brought the new nurse in to introduce her to me. As they were going over my charts I told them I had been having very strong contractions that I could feel, so they checked me & decided to let me push. At 11:30 I pushed once & the nurses called my doctor in who had just finished up a c-section. He came in & said we might have a July 4th baby after all. I did three sets of pushes & had Hadley 17 minutes later at 11:47 pm. She was 8 lbs 2 oz & 20.5 in long.

I did kangaroo care for about an hour, then the nurse did Hadley's footprints & swaddled her. I had my first Diet Coke during the kangaroo care & it was the best Diet Coke I've ever had after only having ice that day! Gentry even fed me almonds while I held Hadley :)


Around 1:15 am our families were finally able to come back & meet her.


After our families left we were taken upstairs to our room & Hadley was taken to the nursery to have her first bath.

Around 3 am we were settled in our room & my nurse brought me a very plain turkey sandwich that somehow tasted amazing. They brought Hadley in around 3:30 on Friday morning, & I fed her then she went back to the nursery so we could try and get some sleep. Around 7 am they brought her back & we spent the day with her in our room with family & friends. 

 

Friday night my dad, Papaw, Lindsey, Ruthie & Bethany headed back to Memphis. My mom & Mamaw stayed with us for the first week of being home with Hadley & it was so incredibly helpful! We got home from the hospital on Saturday afternoon & our house was spotless, candles were lit, & dinner was ready to go in the oven. It was amazing!!

 Every morning I spent time in the hearth room with my mom & Mamaw talking over coffee & loving on Hadley. Every night they made an incredible dinner & we had the best week. I will always be thankful for that sweet time with them! It was pretty surreal to think that my Mamaw has held & rocked my mom, me & now Hadley.


Gentry & I are so in love with our little girl! The Lord has definitely blessed us with an easy time so far with Hadley. I began feeling back to normal after about a week & Hadley began sleeping really well in the night between 3 & 4 weeks. Thank you everyone for all of the kind words & prayers!




{alli}

1 comment:

  1. Oh Alli! She could not be cuter! She is simply delectable! I still can't get over her hair! I wished for hair for our Peter Elliot but there was nothing disappointing about him! I know you are so in love with her. It's such a new kind of love isn't it?! I loved reading the story. There is nothing like family.

    ReplyDelete